PSHE and RSE
At Wilberfoss School we follow a whole school programme called HeartSmart, which is a whole school approach that brings together our PSHE (personal, social and health) education.
SMSC (spiritual, moral, social and cultural) development opportunities are mapped throughout and also link carefully with our Christian Values.
All of these pieces of learning are brought together to form a cohesive picture, helping children to know and value who they are and understand how they relate to other people in the world.
The units we follow are:
Don't forget to let love in!
Too much selfie isn't healthy!
Don't rub it in, rub it out!
Fake is a mistake!
'No way through' isn't true!
Relationship and Sex Education(RSE)
The work we do with HeartSmart over the year helps with our RSE curriculum in helping to foster pupil well-being and develop resilience and values that we know are fundamental to pupils being happy, successful and productive members of society.
To strengthen this further, Big Talk Education help us to deliver a Growing Up Safe programme that has the following uutcomes for pupils:
- Pupils should be able to form a strong, early understanding of the features of relationships that are likely to lead to happiness and security.
- Pupils should be able to recognise any less positive relationships when they encounter them.
- RSE should create the opportunity to teach pupils about positive emotional and mental well-being, including how friendships can support our mental well-being.
- RSE should contribute to the prevention of abuse and protection of children, by teaching the knowledge they need to be safe and to report abuse, including emotional, physical and sexual abuse.
- Children should be prepared for the physiological and emotional changes they will go through during puberty, where possible before these occur. Understanding that these are natural and normal changes.
Our Relationship and Sex Education (RSE) Policy is also available here